Tonight, Melissa and I participated for the first time in the Scarboro dinner club. Scarboro is the name of our Calgarian neighborhood. Couples get together once a month and while hosts prepare an entrée (a great BBQ salmon tonight) guests bring salad, appetizer, and dessert. Couples rotates every month and you never dine with the same persons twice for the duration of the program. I was impressed by all well travelled all the individuals at the table were. We talked about Egypt, Germany, Tanzania, Russia, Poland, Australia, Italy, New Zealand, France, Panama, and many others country that I don't recall.
I was tasked with the dessert and not wanting to repeat my springform pan experience, I decided to got with another burnt dessert. Here is the recipe for your enjoyment.
For four servings:
- 1½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tea spoon of pure vanilla extract
- ½ tea spoon of orange extract
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- Bring the whipping cream, vanilla extract, and orange extract to a boil. Let it rest
- Beat the egg yolks with the granulated sugar
- Pour the whipping cream into the egg yolks and mix well
- Pour the custard in four individual dishes
- Put the individual dishes in a pan and pour water between the dishes so they barely float in the pan
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes at 350F until custard is set
- Let rest at room temperature for four hours
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and broil (using the oven) for a couple of minutes. Make sure you keep you eyes while it broils or you going to burn more than the cream! In my case, I keep the fire extinguisher at hand but this may not be necessary in your case.